I love getting out and working with children (and sometimes adults, too) encouraging them to express themselves and explore their creativity. I also try to hire fellow creatives (adults and children) and give young writers and opportunity to see themselves in print. I do a lot of school visits as an author/artist, sharing with students what it’s really like to be an author. In 2017, I took over SONZA promoting kiwi creatives, and I try to get involved in creative community events, whether in person or by donating art work.
Even though I love every minute of it, it’s still a lot of work so I appreciate my sponsors who generously contribute towards my costs for these pro bono activities.
Scroll down to see a list of events & publications supporting the community.
These wonderful people are giving a monthly donation via Patreon to support my pro bono and community work.
Sponsorship works on a reward system, so as well as warm fuzzies from helping me help others, you get presents too! It includes your name printed in my books, digital and snail mail goodies and more – for further information, see my Patreon page.
“I really feel like what Zee gives as rewards as a supported artist goes WAY beyond the value of the contributions I make… I really do feel overwhelmed by how generous you are.” – Jonathon, Gold Patron
NZ Young Writers’ Anthology
From 2017, NZ Young Writers’ Anthology will be sponsored by my primary printer and book binder, Chris Else at Book Printing. I highly recommend Chris and Dave for book printing services and great advice. Visit them by clicking on their logo below.
- [Ongoing] The Ramble On book launch will be brought to you by the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand, Panic PR NZ, Aucky Walky Tours, PhysioLogic, Anya Forest, Emma Vere-Jones, and Veritas Aotearoa Publishing. For more details click here.
- The first annual NZ Young Writers’ Anthology was primarily sponsored by Bernestine Singley, in combination with a number of smaller sponsorships via Kickstarter.
- The Caretaker of Imagination book launch was primarily sponsored by Kip McGrath Education Centres (NZ), with smaller sponsorship from individuals and companies.
List of Events and Publications
These are activities I feel are helping the community, encouraging creativity, and inspiring others. All are pro bono unless otherwise stated. Artists hired include freelance creatives that were paid for their services. (this list is still being updated, so do check in again!)
- Brookby School Visit
- Mangatawhiri School Viasit
- Waikowhai Intermediate School Visit: Zine Workshop
- Wellington Botanic Gardens & The Happiness Idea: Botanic Colouring Pages
- Dominion Road School Visit
- St Mary MacKillop School Visit: Imaginative Writing
- Auckland Libraries: Writing & Publishing Panel
- “I Am A Writer” book (commercial)
Artists hired: Luke Penney (artist), Anna Simpson (artist), Helen Tau’au Filisi (writer), IZS (comic book creators), Sue Copsey (writer), J. C. Hart (writer).
- “I Am An Artist” (commercial)
- Auckland Council: Wesley Market Christmas Colouring Pages (paid)
- NZ Young Writers’ Anthology: Heroes
- St Kentigern School Visit: Illustrating and Formatting
- Blockhouse Bay Intermediate School Visit: Book Week
- New Windsor School Visit: Book Week
- Artweek Auckland with the Dorothy Butler Children’s Bookshop: Once Upon A Time Colouring Exhibition
- Auckland Heritage Festival with Pixie Party Supplies: Tram Colouring Page
Artists hired: Anna Simpson (artist), Jane Thorne (artist), Megan Murphy (artist), Catherine Warren (artist), Andrew Black (artist), Angie Peterson (proofreader), Lee Murray (editor).
- NZ Young Writers’ Anthology: Secrets (partially sponsored).
- Artweek Auckland with ScribbleAkl: Colour your own adventure exhibition
Artists hired: Deanne Simon (graphic designer), Jane Thorne (artist), Catherine Mede (proofreader), Jeni Chappelle (editor).