I just had a look at last week’s goals and realised that I have literally done NO creative writing or painting this week! There have been two main excuses for this. Firstly, I had a bit more dayjob work than I had thought, and secondly the weather is scorching hot (by NZ standards anyway) and I’m finding the heat draining.
But they are excuses, not reasons. I know that when I DO paint and write, I am in a better mood and I feel better about my place in the world. I enjoy the the process of creation and exploration so why wasn’t it happening?
The biggest reason is anxiety, on so many levels, including but not limited to comparisonitis (I suffer this illness acutely at times). The other reason, playing nicely with anxiety, is mess and clutter. This was why ‘tidying up my space’ was on my list last week. I did some tidying but not enough. This week, tidying will be my priority, so that my actual priorities have some space to breathe.
Thus, this week’s goals:
- Tidy my space! Like, properly.
- Get last week’s and this week’s podcasts done (last week wasn’t published due to computer issues)
- Get Beyond the End of the World to the printer!
And last week I did achieve some things:
- I got my podcast recorded.
- Finalised details of the book launch (I also received the book cover art – yay!)
- Sent the book for proofreading and have received it back.
- Got about a third of the way into my next story draft.
- Did lots of thinking and contemplating and journalling.